This 15-room house was built in 1885. It was constructed using Florida long-leaf pine shipped through the port of Indianola and brought to Gonzales by ox cart. It was considered quite up-to-date. It was built with fire escapes, lightning rods and indoor plumbing. The wall paper is original and some of the furniture and mantels are handmade walnut pieces made by Mr. Wells Jr.
The Gonzales Chapter Daughters of the Republic of Texas is custodian and group tours may be arranged by calling the Chamber of Commerce at 830-672-6532. The house is open on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Admission is required.