Construction on the courthouse began in June of 1894 and it completed in April of 1896. The three-story building, designed by J. Riely Gordon in Romanesque Revival style with eclectic details, was built with red brick and a white limestone trim. The brick came from St. Louis, MO and the limestone was cut from a nearby quarry owned by Firmin Maurin who in 1895 was hired as superintendent for construction of the courthouse. The structure originally cost $64,450. The building was extensively repaired in 1958 and received historic restoration in 1997. The original clock tower remains as a major focal point of downtown Gonzales.