Beautiful Queen Anne style house was built in 1897 by George Farmer Burgess whose parents were from Holland. The house was restored in 2014 by the current owner. The house is the only home in this area designed by architect George Francis Barber. Burgess was a U.S. Congressman and a renowned orator. Born in Wharton County, Texas, September 21, 1861, he was the son of C.H. and Mary Burgess. George farmed for a while in his younger years and later became a store clerk . He studied law in Fayette County, Texas, in the office of Fly and Davidson, was admitted to the bar in 1882, and was soon elected city attorney of Flatonia, Texas. Shortly thereafter, George moved to Gonzales County and was elected county attorney in 1886. Burgess married Marie Louise Simms, born February, 1870, in Louisana. The wedding took place in Houston, Texas, on December 29, 1888. George was elected to congress in 1902 and served until 1915. During his tenure he was responsible for securing funds for development of the inner channel of Galveston harbor, development of the Brazos River and Brazos Channel and bay canal, the surveying of a link of the intercoastal canal and procuring over six million dollars in additional funds for Galveston jetties. In 1902 he successfully authored a bill appropriating $50,000 to build a post office in Gonzales at the corner of St. Joseph and St. Francis Streets. The building was completed in 1909 and served as a post office until 1965 when the interior was remodeled for offices. The Burgess house features a keyhole window in the living room, the only one in this area, and a bull's eye window upstairs. It has seven gables, a number of stained glass windows and four fireplaces.