Edward Lewis House

Edward Lewis was born in Gonzales, Texas, April 10, 1869, the son of Judge Everett Lewis of Mississippi and Alice Josephine Strictland of Missouri. He married Cayloma Ponton May 27, 1903, in St. Louis, Missouri where Miss Ponton held a position in the business college in Sedalia, Missouri.

Cayloma, one of seven children, was born on November 18, 1873. She was the daughter of Thomas Jefferson Ponton and Martha "Mattie" Kentucky Brown Ponton and the granddaughter of Andrew Ponton, the alcalde of Gonzales during the Texas revolution. She had previously held a position at a business college in Buffalo, New York.

Edward was in the wholesale and retail hardware business with J.H. Boothe. Together, they built the Boothe & Lewis Building on the east side of what is now Confederate Square. In 1909 Edward purchased the lots for the house and completed their Greek Revival home in 1910.

Edward died following surgery in 1926. Following his death, Cayloma moved to San Antonio and lived in the St. Anthony Hotel until her death in 1962.

Address: 
605 St. Louis Street

Download the app!

Sign up for Deals!

Tour Gonzales • (888) 672-1095 • info@tourgonzales.com