Located at the intersection of N. St. Joseph and St. George Street. The square honors the soldiers killed while serving in Confederate Army during Civil War. The monument (by sculptor Frank Teich) was dedicated in 1909 through the efforts of Chapter 546 of United Daughters of the Confederacy, Gonzales, Texas.
First mapped in 1825 as “Market Square”, but had become “Jail Square” prior to 1836 when Gonzales was burned by order of Gen. Sam Houston to prevent buildings and supplies falling into possession of oncoming enemy, Gen. Santa Anna. Now referred to as Confederate Square.
State Historical Survey Committee - 1966