C.H. Hoskins House

Charles Henry Hoskins was born in Terrell, Texas, July 30, 1881, and came to south Texas in 1891 with his parents, Baker Blount Hoskins of Mississippi and Augusta Amelia Raguet Hoskins. Charles lived in Seguin until 1895 when the family moved to Gonzales. For a while he worked in the Kokernot Brothers grocery store, and then became a member of the dry goods firm of Hoskins and Jones. This firm later became B.B. Hoskins & Sons. In 1910 he became president of Hoskins Mercantile Company. On January 12, 1910, he married Mary Kennon Jones and they honeymooned in New York. They had one son. Miss Jones was born August 17, 1883, the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. J.C. Jones. Shortly after the marriage, Charles purchased the lots where their house now stands. He employed noted architect, Atlee B. Ayers, to design his home and construction was completed in 1911.

Charles died December 30, 1918, of Spanish influenza and Mary died September 3, 1938. They are buried in the Gonzales Masonic Cemetery.

Address: 
906 St. Louis Street, Gonzales

Download the app!

Sign up for Deals!

Tour Gonzales • (888) 672-1095 • info@tourgonzales.com