On Saint Louis Street near Water Street, Gonzales. (Block 3, Lot 1).
An Indian raid July 2, 1826, left one Gonzales settler dead, another shot, homes plundered. Settlers fled to Burnham Station on the Colorado or moved to Lavaca River. In 1827 DeWitt’s Colonists were ordered back here. On this lot they built a fort for security.
State Historical Survey Committee – 1966