From Gonzales Courthouse, take Highway 183 South about 1.7 miles. (Marker is on the west side of Highway 183,just past the bridge on Hwy 183.)
Extending from this point one-quarter mile west is Santa Anna Mound. Formerly DeWitt Mound now site DeWitt family cemetery. Here Mexican troops camped between September 29 and October 1, 1835, awaiting delivery of the Gonzales Cannon. Colonists refusing to surrender Cannon, the Mexicans retreated toward Bexar, where on October 2, five miles west, the Texans overtook them. The battle of Gonzales ensued with Texans as victors.
State of Texas - 1936