The Gonzales Masonic Lodge #30 AF & AM was chartered in January, 1847. Thomas
T. Blackwell, a Mason, died that same year and the Gonzales Masonic Lodge recognized the need for an
appropriate place for burial for its members and their families. The original land purchase in 1849 and a later
land purchase in 1903 brought the cemetery to its current size, 9.8 acres. In addition to the many veterans
buried here, the Masonic Cemetery burial register reads like a who’s who in Gonzales and Texas History.