Beginning around 1875 many Jewish businessmen began opening businesses in Gonzales. Gonzales was becoming the financial center in this part of Texas and Jewish people were readily accepted in the community. By 1885 the Jewish community was thriving. They purchased a parcel of land several miles north of Gonzales and opened the first Jewish Cemetery in this area. Just after the turn of the century it became apparent that the accessibility of this cemetery was very difficult. In 1907 a new location was established on the outer town of Gonzales. Although the cemetery has only 50 graves it is a testimony to the pioneer Jewish families who came here and were instrumental in developing Gonzales.