Central Square

Marker location:

St. Joseph and St. Lawrence Streets (SE).  Gonzales

 

Marker text:

Green DeWitt in 1825 appointed James Kerr to select and survey the capitol for DeWitt’s Mexican land grantcolony. Kerr named the capitol Gonzales for Don Rafael Gonzales, then governor of Coahuila andTexas. This was Central Square, in the 49 block inner town.

 

State Historical Survey Committee - 1966

 

 

 

Download the app!

Sign up for Deals!

Tour Gonzales • (888) 672-1095 • info@tourgonzales.com